Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Gram Stains!

Today, we prepared Gram Stains in class, which is a slightly more sophisticated technique than preparing a simple stain.  First, using the asceptic technique, I made a slide by smearing my unknown sample with a drop of water, letting it air dry, then heat fixed it. I covered the stain with crystal violet for 20 seconds, rinsed the slide, covered it with Gram's iodine for a minute, and rinsed that off. I then decolorized the stain with EtOH, and rinsed it off. After covering the slide with safranin for one minute and rinsing it, I finally got to check out the sample under a microscope! I used the oil immersion lens, but had a little trouble getting it into focus. Luckily, Dr. Pathakamuri found the stained bacteria, and we identified it as Gram-negative bacilli. :]

No comments:

Post a Comment