Thursday, September 8, 2011

Isolating a Pure Culture by creating a Streak Plate




Today, I got my bacteria out of the incubator, and found that it had grown. I saw mostly little yellow, shiny colonies of bacteria and one larger, green, moldy looking colony. After observing them under a microscope, I chose to isolate bacteria from one of the yellow colonies. I sterilized my inoculating loop, obtained a colony from the agar plate, and streaked a fresh agar plate in quadrants using the inoculating loop, sterilizing the loop between quadrants. After labeling the new agar plate, I placed it in the incubator at about 25 degrees centigrade and placed the original agar plate in the refrigerator. Next week, I will hopefully be able to more closely examine an isolated pure culture of my bacteria.

No comments:

Post a Comment